We use cookies to track user visits on this website but all data collected is anonymous and is used only for the purpose of improving the site. By browsing our site you agree to our use of cookies. You will only see this message once.

Find out more
Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust Header Banner

Choose Well

Yorkshire Ambulance Service (YAS) is encouraging people across Yorkshire and the Humber to make sure they choose the right NHS service to get the right treatment.

The number of people attending A&E and calling 999 for an ambulance is growing each year. Ambulance services, hospitals and GP surgeries get especially busy during winter. Choosing the right service best suited to your illness or injury will relieve the pressure on A&E, GPs and ambulance services.

Where should I go for treatment?

You should only call 999 for a serious or life-threatening emergency. If it is not a serious or life-threatening situation, you should consider other options available to you such as:

  • Self care - A range of common illnesses and injuries can be treated at home by combining a well-stocked medicine cabinet with plenty of rest. This is the best choice for very minor illnesses and injuries.
  • NHS 111 - NHS 111 is a new service that provides confidential health advice and information by phone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year. You can call 111 when you need urgent medical help but it is not a 999 emergency. Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.
  • Pharmacist - Your local pharmacist can give you advice on illnesses and the medicines you need to treat them. Visit a pharmacist when you are suffering from a common health problem which does not require being seen by a nurse or doctor. Find a local pharmacist*
  • GP - GP surgeries provide a range of services by appointment, including medical advice, examinations and prescriptions. In an emergency, a GP can also visit your home outside of opening hours by contacting your local surgery and following the recorded instructions. Find a local GP*
  • NHS walk-in centre, urgent care centre or minor injuries unit - You do not need an appointment and you will be seen by an experienced nurse or GP. These services give healthcare advice and most are open from early morning until late at night. Visit one of these centres if you need medical treatment or advice which does not need a visit to A&E or a medical appointment. Find a local walk-in centre, urgent care centre or minor injuries unit*
  • A&E or 999 - A&E or calling 999 should only be used in a critical or life-threatening situation when someone is seriously ill or injured.

Choose the Right NHS Treatment for You

A leaflet has been produced to help you choose the right NHS treatment in Yorkshire and the Humber; it contains information about the walk-in centres and minor injury units in your local area.  

Choose Well Leaflet Yorkshire and Humber (download)


If you would prefer a document in another format, such as another language, large print, Braille or audio file, please contact our Corporate Communications department, tel: 01924 584035.