The Trust Board
The YAS board of directors meets quarterly in addition to the Annual General Meeting (AGM) in September. The public may attend these meetings.
Our Annual General Meeting will be held on Thursday 26 September 2019 from 09.30-11.45 at Leeds Town Hall, The Headrow, Leeds, LS1 3AD. This will be followed by our board meeting in public from 12.30-15.45.
The Board is legally responsible for the leadership, direction, control, and risk management of the Trust. Its main responsibilities include:
- promoting the success of the Trust by directing and managing the organisation's affairs
- active leadership of the Trust within a framework of prudent and effective controls which enable risk to be assessed and managed
- setting the strategic aims of YAS, ensuring that the necessary financial and human resources are in place for the organisation to meet its objectives and review management performance
- setting YAS's values and standards to ensure that its obligations to patients, the local community and the Secretary of State are understood and met.
The Trust Board is made up of the chairman, five non-executive directors and five executive directors including the chief executive.
Kathryn Lavery was appointed as Chairman of Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust with effect from 1 July 2016.
- Kath was first appointed to an NHS board in 1998. Prior to joining YAS, she was the Chairman of West Hull Primary Care Trust and then NHS Hull until 2013.
- Served as a Hull city councillor between 1988 and 2007. For her service, she was granted the title of Honorary Alderman.
- Director of Kath Lavery Associates and specialises in board governance and joint working between the private, not-for-profit and public sectors.
- Chair of Humber Business Week Steering Group.
- Chair of Athena Aspire Ltd, working to create innovative paths into employment for young people.
- A non-executive director of NAViGO, a community interest company which runs NHS mental health services in North East Lincolnshire.
- Consultant to the University of Hull Faculty of Health Sciences. About to commence a project looking at the impact of health and social care on the economy of place.
Rod Barnes joined YAS as Executive Director of Finance and Performance in October 2011, with responsibility for Finance, Procurement, Fleet and Estates, ICT and Patient Transport Service.
He became Chief Executive in May 2015
- A member of the Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA) Governance and Audit Committee.
- Previously Director of Finance at Great Western Ambulance Service.
- Worked as Director of Finance at the Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases NHS Foundation Trust (FT) in Bath and Deputy Director of Finance at Taunton and Somerset NHS FT.
- During the early part of his career he worked in Airedale and Harrogate hospitals.
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants.
Executive Director of Quality, Governance and Performance Assurance and Deputy Chief Executive
Steve Page joined the YAS Executive Team in October 2009 as Director of Standards and Compliance.
- Steve is the former Chair of the National Ambulance Service Quality and Governance and Risk Directors (QGARD) Group.
- He is a Registered General Nurse, and has held senior nursing leadership roles in Yorkshire and the North East, working in a number of acute hospitals. He has also worked in higher education, producing and delivering a Masters level nursing programme and working at a national level on multi-professional clinical practice development and clinical team accreditation.
- Steve spent nine years at Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals Trust, initially as a Directorate Head of Nursing and subsequently as Assistant Director of Patient Services with responsibility for clinical governance and quality.
- He was Deputy Director of Nursing and Strategic Head of Patient Safety for four years at the North East Strategic Health Authority, leading system-wide nursing and clinical governance developments, leading the Safer Care North East Programme, and managing the regional processes for investigation of serious incidents and inquiries.
- Steve was a fellow of the Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning for Health in the North East (2007-09).
Dr Julian Mark
Executive Medical Director
Julian Mark joined YAS in 2007 and became Executive Medical Director in October 2013.
- He chairs the National Ambulance Services’ Medical Directors group (NASMeD), a subgroup of the Association of Ambulance Chief Executives (AACE).
- He qualified in Medicine from Leeds University in 1994 (BSc Hons, MB ChB) and holds the Diploma in Immediate Medical Care (DIMC) from the Faculty of Pre-Hospital Care of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (2010).
- He also holds a Post Graduate Certificate in Medical Law from Northumbria University (2012). In 2017 he was awarded Founding Senior Fellowship of the Faculty of Medical Leadership and Management (SFFMLM).
- His base clinical speciality was in Anaesthesia and held the post of honorary Senior Staff Anaesthetist at Harrogate and District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust until April 2014, subsequently continuing to practise clinically in immediate medical care as a member of the British Association for Immediate Care (BASICS). He continues to instruct and examine in Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) and previously instructed, examined and directed Resuscitation Council (UK) Advanced Life Support (ALS) courses until 2014.
- He sits on the Clinical Advisory Board for the Faculty of Pre-Hospital Care (RCSEd) and on the Clinical Advisory Forum for NHS Improvement. He is a former member of the Department of Health Clinical Advisory Group for Major Trauma in England and is currently a member of NHS England’s Ambulance Response Programme development group.
Executive Director of Finance
Mark Bradley joined the YAS Executive Team in March 2017.
- A finance professional with over 15 years' experience in senior management roles across the healthcare sector.
Joined YAS from NHS Leeds South and East Clinical Commissioning Group where he was Chief Finance Officer/Deputy Accountable Officer.
- Mark has worked in provider and commissioning roles, corporate governance, contract negotiation and informatics, as well as national commercial projects.
- He has led teams at a number of NHS organisations including NHS Leeds, NHS Connecting for Health, United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust, NHS Shared Financial Services, Dewsbury Healthcare NHS Trust and Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust.
Director of Workforce and Organisational Development
Christine Brereton joined the Trust in November 2017.
- A career spanning 25 years as an HR professional with a particular interest in staff health and wellbeing and engagement.
- Joined YAS from North Cumbria University Hospital Trust where she was HR and Organisational Development Director. She successfully implemented a number of improvements including the introduction of a comprehensive health and wellbeing strategy and the development and implementation of a workforce and organisational development strategy.
- A wealth of experience gained while working in a variety of senior HR operations and organisational development roles across the public sector, including Greater Manchester Police, the National Probation Service and Lancaster University.
Director of Operations
Nick joined the YAS Executive Team in November 2018.
- Previously Deputy Director of the non-emergency Patient Transport Service at the Welsh Ambulance Service NHS Trust.
- Nick has also worked at Cumbria Ambulance Service and outside of the NHS in a global IT consultancy company before joining the Welsh Ambulance Service in 2012.
- He started his career in Yorkshire as an ambulance cadet in 1987 for West Yorkshire Metropolitan Ambulance Service and went on to work as a paramedic at Castleford and Wakefield ambulance stations.
Associate Non-Executive Director
Phil Storr joined the Trust Board in January 2017 and has extensive experience in emergency preparedness and operational response.
- A strategic operational manager who has led major programmes in areas such as emergency preparedness, operational response and risk reduction in the UK, Europe and the Middle East.
- 15 years’ board-level involvement at a national and international level and within the NHS including NHS England and the Department of Health.
- 25 years’ experience in strategic crisis management and public safety.
- Significant experience in planning and strategy modelling, including a three-year project on resilience and an operational position to steer the strategic direction of the NHS 111 service and its systems following its launch in March 2013.
John Nutton joined the Trust Board in October 2013 and brings with him a strong background in corporate finance and experience in financial management, audit and consultancy.
- At the Leeds office of accountants RSM Robson Rhodes he advised private, public sector and quoted companies on audit and governance matters before building a corporate finance division within the practice.
- Self-employed Corporate Finance practitioner, Springwell Corporate Finance in association with Cattaneo LLP.
- Fellow Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales.
- Has acted as a non-executive director for NHS Sheffield Provider Services.
- Strong commercial experience and negotiating skills coupled with ability to understand, appreciate, challenge and influence business strategy and direction.
- Member of the Trust’s Audit, Finance and Investment and Renumeration Committees.
Anne Cooper joined the Trust Board in December 2018 and is an accomplished senior nurse leader.
- An accomplished senior nurse leader with a career spanning 35 years in the NHS. Over the last ten years Anne has worked at national level in large NHS organisations, including two years at NHS England.
- Anne is a Fellow of the Queen’s Nursing Institute and in 2014 was voted by the Health Service Journal (HSJ) and Nursing Times as one of the top 12 social pioneers in health and included on the HSJ’s top 50 list of inspirational women in the NHS.
- Anne is also a Non-Executive Director of Care Opinion, the leading independent non-profit feedback platform for health and social care services in England, and has recently become a founding Board member for a new community interest company, TEC Quality.
Tim Gilpin joined the Trust Board in January 2017 and is an experienced HR professional.
- Has worked at executive level in the public sector throughout his career.
- An experienced HR professional who specialises in workforce development, coaching, mentoring and mediation.
- Extensive NHS experience including roles of Director of Workforce and Education at NHS North of England and Non-Executive Director at Manchester Mental Health and Social Care Trust.
- Manages a mixed portfolio of work through his own consultancy including search and selection, workforce planning and strategic roles at a regional level.
Jeremy joined the Trust Board in February 2019 and has over 35 years.
- Jeremy has worked for the NHS for over 35 years in human resources and operational management roles in acute, community, mental health and ambulance organisations, including the former South Yorkshire Ambulance Service.
- His more recent NHS experience includes service improvement roles with NHS Improvement and the Emergency Care Intensive Support Team
- He has previously worked as a Non-Executive Director at Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust.
- He has been self-employed since 2007 and runs his own management consultancy.
Stan Hardy joined the Trust Board in March 2019 and is an experienced senior manage
- Experienced senior manager following a career in the public and private sector, with particular expertise in promoting UK manufacturing in West and Central Europe and the Far East.
- A mentor of small companies and an occasional volunteer lecturer on the Leeds Beckett University Business Studies course.
- A Deputy Lieutenant in West Yorkshire, Stan is also the West Yorkshire County Lead for the Duke of York’s Community Initiative and a member of the Yorkshire and Humberside Reserve Forces and Cadets Association.
- A former chairman of the West Yorkshire Probation Service, Local Care Direct and Yorkshire Ridings Branch of the Institute of Directors.
- He is an active fundraiser for charity, particularly Age UK and Epilepsy Action.