The Trust Board
The YAS Board of Directors meets quarterly in addition to the Annual General Meeting (AGM) in September. The public may attend these meetings*.
*Due to the ongoing Government advice around avoiding unnecessary social contacts during the current coronavirus outbreak, meetings will not be held in public. However, all papers for this meeting will be published on our website.
Board papers will be published here
At present all future board meetings will be held by videoconference. Please note that from 28 January 2021 recordings of the Trust Board Meetings held in public will be published on the meeting page here.
Board Meeting Dates 2021 - 22
27 April 2021
24 June 2021
27 July 2021
23 September 2021 (AGM)
26 October 2021
25 January 2021
Kathryn Lavery was appointed as Chairman of Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust with effect from 1 July 2016.
- Kath was first appointed to an NHS board in 1998. Prior to joining YAS, she was the Chairman of West Hull Primary Care Trust and then NHS Hull until 2013.
- Served as a Hull city councillor between 1988 and 2007. For her service, she was granted the title of Honorary Alderman.
- Director of Kath Lavery Associates and specialises in board governance and joint working between the private, not-for-profit and public sectors.
- Chair of Humber Business Week Steering Group.
- A non-executive director of NAViGO, a community interest company which runs NHS mental health services in North East Lincolnshire.
- Consultant to the University of Hull Faculty of Health Sciences. About to commence a project looking at the impact of health and social care on the economy of place.
Rod Barnes joined YAS as Executive Director of Finance and Performance in October 2011, with responsibility for Finance, Procurement, Fleet and Estates, ICT and Patient Transport Service.
He became Chief Executive in May 2015
- A member of the Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA) Governance and Audit Committee.
- Previously Director of Finance at Great Western Ambulance Service.
- Worked as Director of Finance at the Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases NHS Foundation Trust (FT) in Bath and Deputy Director of Finance at Taunton and Somerset NHS FT.
- During the early part of his career he worked in Airedale and Harrogate hospitals.
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants.
Dr Julian Mark
Executive Medical Director
Julian Mark joined YAS in 2007 and became Executive Medical Director in October 2013.
- He chairs the National Ambulance Services’ Medical Directors group (NASMeD), a subgroup of the Association of Ambulance Chief Executives (AACE).
- He qualified in Medicine from Leeds University in 1994 (BSc Hons, MB ChB) and holds the Diploma in Immediate Medical Care (DIMC) from the Faculty of Pre-Hospital Care of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (2010).
- He also holds a Post Graduate Certificate in Medical Law from Northumbria University (2012). In 2017 he was awarded Founding Senior Fellowship of the Faculty of Medical Leadership and Management (SFFMLM).
- His base clinical speciality was in Anaesthesia and held the post of honorary Senior Staff Anaesthetist at Harrogate and District Hospital NHS Foundation Trust until April 2014, subsequently continuing to practise clinically in immediate medical care as a member of the British Association for Immediate Care (BASICS). He continues to instruct and examine in Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) and previously instructed, examined and directed Resuscitation Council (UK) Advanced Life Support (ALS) courses until 2014.
- He sits on the Clinical Advisory Board for the Faculty of Pre-Hospital Care (RCSEd) and on the Clinical Advisory Forum for NHS Improvement. He is a former member of the Department of Health Clinical Advisory Group for Major Trauma in England and is currently a member of NHS England’s Ambulance Response Programme development group.
Executive Director of Operations
Nick joined the YAS Executive Team in November 2018.
- Previously Deputy Director of the non-emergency Patient Transport Service at the Welsh Ambulance Service NHS Trust.
- Nick has also worked at Cumbria Ambulance Service and outside of the NHS in a global IT consultancy company before joining the Welsh Ambulance Service in 2012.
- He started his career in Yorkshire as an ambulance cadet in 1987 for West Yorkshire Metropolitan Ambulance Service and went on to work as a paramedic at Castleford and Wakefield ambulance stations.
Director of People and Organisational Development
Mandy joined YAS in 2019 and became part of the Executive Team in June 2021.
- Mandy has over 30 years’ experience working in HR and OD across the NHS at national, regional and organisational levels in acute, primary, community, ambulance and commissioning sectors.
- Her most recent role was the Trust’s Associate Director of Corporate Affairs.
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development.
Associate Non-Executive Director
Phil Storr joined the Trust Board in January 2017 and has extensive experience in emergency preparedness and operational response.
- A strategic operational manager who has led major programmes in areas such as emergency preparedness, operational response and risk reduction in the UK, Europe and the Middle East.
- 15 years’ board-level involvement at a national and international level and within the NHS including NHS England and the Department of Health.
- 25 years’ experience in strategic crisis management and public safety.
- Significant experience in planning and strategy modelling, including a three-year project on resilience and an operational position to steer the strategic direction of the NHS 111 service and its systems following its launch in March 2013.
Anne Cooper joined the Trust Board in December 2018 and is an accomplished senior nurse leader.
- An accomplished senior nurse leader with a career spanning 35 years in the NHS. Over the last ten years Anne has worked at national level in large NHS organisations, including two years at NHS England.
- Anne is a Fellow of the Queen’s Nursing Institute and in 2014 was voted by the Health Service Journal (HSJ) and Nursing Times as one of the top 12 social pioneers in health and included on the HSJ’s top 50 list of inspirational women in the NHS.
- Anne is Clinical Director at Ethical Healthcare Consulting and runs a leadership programme for women in health and social care IT, called 'Minerva Now'.
Tim Gilpin joined the Trust Board in January 2017 and is an experienced HR professional.
- Has worked at executive level in the public sector throughout his career.
- An experienced HR professional who specialises in workforce development, coaching, mentoring and mediation.
- Extensive NHS experience including roles of Director of Workforce and Education at NHS North of England and Non-Executive Director at Manchester Mental Health and Social Care Trust.
- Manages a mixed portfolio of work through his own consultancy including search and selection, workforce planning and strategic roles at a regional level.
Jeremy joined the Trust Board in February 2019 and has over 35 years' NHS experience.
- Jeremy has worked for the NHS for over 35 years in human resources and operational management roles in acute, community, mental health and ambulance organisations, including the former South Yorkshire Ambulance Service.
- His more recent NHS experience includes service improvement roles with NHS Improvement and the Emergency Care Intensive Support Team
- He has previously worked as a Non-Executive Director at Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust.
- He has been self-employed since 2007 and runs his own management consultancy.
Andrew joined the Trust in October 2020 and chairs the Audit Committee.
- Andrew has a senior level experience in governance, risk and internal audit, and has undertaken a range of non-executive appointments across both the public and private sectors.
- He is also a Non-Executive Director at Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust, where he is Chairman of its Audit Committee.
- His previous posts include Trustee and Honorary Treasurer of the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management, Non-Executive Director and Chairman of the Audit Committee at Bradford College, Chairman of Training for Bradford Ltd that trades as City Training Services, Trustee for Bradford Grammar School, Treasurer for Yorkshire WaterAid and Chief Internal Auditor at Yorkshire Water.
- Alongside his Board roles, Andrew is also a Governor at Leeds City College and Vice Chairman of the Audit Committee of the Luminate Education Group.
Amanda was appointed to the Trust Board in June 2021.
- An experienced senior manager in risk, compliance and quality, with particular expertise in the financial services and legal sectors.
- Has advised on strategic matters including resourcing, diversification, product innovation, mergers and acquisitions, and change management.
- Currently holds a number of non-executive directorships, including The Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust where she is the associate NED Safeguarding Lead, Bolton@Home and Arcon Housing Group.
- A Director at Candam Ltd, a Taekwondo school, and a volunteer at Highfield School in Wakefield, a secondary school for pupils with complex needs, and at the Change Management Institute.
Associate Non-Executive Director (Development)
Zafir joined the Board in June 2021 as an Associate Non-Executive Director (Development), part of the NExT programme development placement which enables individuals to learn first-hand about the challenges and opportunities associated with being a non-executive director in the NHS.
- Holds a number of roles at the Government’s Internal Audit Agency: Deputy Head of Internal Audit and Counter Fraud Specialist for the Department of Health and Social Care; Head of Internal Audit for the Health Research Authority and Head of Internal Audit for the NHS Counter Fraud Authority.
- Has extensive audit/business knowledge and experience with over 20 years advising central government departments in governance, assurance, risk management and counter fraud environments and 10 years working in public-facing frontline roles in the civil service.